Some time before the events of the pilot, Dylan was a happy-go-lucky, all-american child who enjoyed lollipops, puppies and rainbows. This was until her friend Keith abandoned her. Afterwards, Dylan became withdrawn, moody and bitter. She constantly got into fights at school and was often suspended. One day while at work with her mother, Dylan explored the basement and found an ancient tome filled with evil spells. After reading a few passages from the book, she summoned Golan the Insatiable from the dimension of Gkruool and became his loyal acolyte after proving herself worthy. Dylan and Golan now work together, concocting evil plans and schemes to rise to power and eventually retake Gkruool in the name of Golan.
Bitter, anti-social and perpetually angry at just about everyone and everything around her, Dylan is a lonely child and has little tolerance for other people. A social outcast and a troublemaker, Dylan had trouble making friends at her school and little desire to try. Upon meeting Golan, Dylan was absolutely obsessed. The two bonded almost immediately and began a life of debauchery and adventure together. Despite her outward hostility and contempt for most people, Dylan seems to have a kinder side. In Winter Is Staying she tries desperately to earn her mother's approval and feels bad about embarrassing her mother in front of her friends. In Deer Uncle Gerald she can't bring herself to steal her deceased uncle's ashes and instead dumps his ashes in the local river as he requested. Her relationship with Golan often strays from "Loyal Servant" to "Loyal Friend" with relative ease.
Dylan's parental status has been played with and called into question several times over the show's run. In the first season, Dylan was stated to be the daughter of Carole Beekler and her husband Richard. However, in season two Richard disappeared. Although he apparently exists within the show's new continuity, he either left Carole or died. The circumstances of Richard's departure are apparently so depressing that Keith once told Dylan "we don't have to talk about [it] until you're ready."
To further complicate matters, Carole may not even by Dylan's real mother. In Shame on Pee when everyone is told to share their embarrassing secrets without shame in order to defeat Golan's demon, Alexis Beekler proudly proclaims Dylan to actually be her daughter. This would mean Carole is actually her grandmother, and that she had been raised as Alexis' sister for any number of reasons. Likely because of the social stigma teenage mothers face combined with the fact that Alexis is too young (and too stupid, selfish and single-minded) to raise a child on her own.
If this is true, and not simply a one-off joke, this would also mean that if Richard Beekler still exists in this continuity, not only is he dead or simply a deadbeat, he is also actually Dylan's grandfather, and not her father. This would also mean her actual father's identity is unknown. It's even possible that Richard died and Dylan's "real" father abandoned Alexis and Dylan.
As if all of that wasn't enough, according to Carole's statements in Golan the Impregnable, she is unaware who Alexis' real biological father is because she had sex with several different boys in Highschool and got pregnant without ever knowing who did it. Meaning that Dylan has an unknown uncle-in-law who might be her biological grandfather, an unknown non-biological father who might be her non-biological grandfather, and an unknown possible biological father. Man, what a headache. No wonder that kid's so messed up.
Dylan sports a gothic aesthetic, wearing dark make up around the eyes, a spiked bracelet, and her long black hair to compliment. Due to this unusual androgynous appearance of a 'typical' young girl--and with a male name--she is often mistaken as a little boy.
- Carole Beekler - Dylan's mother. Carole is one of the few people Dylan gets along with in any fashion. Although Dylan treats her with animosity and apathy (even often calling her by her first name instead of "mom") Dylan genuinely loves her mother and wants her approval. In Winter Is Staying she nearly betrays Golan to make her happy, but eventually a compromise is found.
- Richard Beekler - Dylan's apparent father, Richard has not appeared since the series was rebooted (except in background cameos.) In the first season, Dylan showed little respect for Richard and spent most of her time ignoring or mocking him. In the second season, it is implied he either died or left the family well before the series even began.
- Alexis Beekler - Dylan's older sister or possibly her biological mother. Dylan and Alexis don't seem to get along, with Alexis playing the role of a typical bratty older sister and Dylan showing little patience for her. While Alexis seems to openly antagonistic towards Dylan, Dylan seems to begrudgingly tolerate her sister's existence, only fighting back when her sister starts it.
- Golan the Insatiable - Dylan's almighty overlord, best friend and surrogate male role model. Dylan and Golan share a strong bond and seem to actually care about eachother. In the first episode of the second season, Golan chasises Dylan for endangering herself while Dylan is elated to hear that Golan has accepted her as his acolyte. Although both claim their relationship is meant to be master and slave, the two often act more like best friends or even siblings.
- Swingley - A boy from Dylan's class whom she has a crush on. In the first season, the two go on a date and Dylan becomes enamored, but eventually loses interest. In the second season, Dylan proudly proclaims her interest in Swingley only to discover that Dylan is already in a relationship... with another boy.
- Keith - Alexis' boyfriend and Dylan's former best friend. Dylan shows open contempt for Keith all throughout the series, not even showing him the kind of passive hostility she treats everyone else with. It is later revealed that Keith was Dylan's best friend until Alexis stole him from her, even calling him "Big Buddy Keith." Years later, even after beating Keith to a bloody pulp and making him fall into a deep coma, she still can't help but admit she was happy to spend time with him again.
- In the first season, Dylan is voiced by comedian Mary Mack. In the second season, she is voiced by actress and comedian Aubrey Plaza, most famous for her role as April Ludgate in the long-running television series Parks and Recreation.
- Dylan's signature look, the mascara running down her eyes, was apparently caused when a traumatized Dylan ripped her eye sockets open after Keith abandoned her.
- Dylan has an apparent limited knowledge of sex. She has googled "what is sex" before, but still can't explain how babies are made. Meaning she either didn't look hard enough, wasn't paying attention or chickened out.
- Dylan sleeps in a pair of footie pajamas.